[ale] ALE CENTRAL MTG for THURSDAY, OCT. 11, 2007

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Oct 9 06:32:41 EDT 2007

aaron wrote:
> As part of ALE's recognition of the scheduled October 19th release
> of Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", and in consideration of the upcoming
> Ubuntu GA / ALE joint Install Fest set for November 10th, our monthly
> ALE Central Meeting on Thursday, October 11, 2007 will be:
>
> "Planning the Future of Ubuntu Server"
>    presented by Rick Clark
>    Ubuntu Server Team Manager,
>    Canonical, Ltd

This brings up a question.  IMHO, "server" and "Ubuntu" are mostly
mutually exclusive.  When I envision servers, I think mostly of
installations that need high availability and are stable with periodic
security updates only.  Since Ubuntu support stops after 18 months (So
I've been led to believe) it doesn't seem to be a good option for server
distros.

Granted there are some servers that want the latest and greatest, but
are there enough?

Jim.