[ale] frontend: Dialog ?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Oct 8 09:50:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 07:25 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I just installed this control panel app called debian-srv-cp . when I run it
> from root I get this:
> e# debian-srv-cp Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> gbx: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> ---------------------------------
> I take it this means root can run an X-windows app, but how do you fix it?

Root can run X Window System applications, but only if it has the proper
environment to do so.  You have that environment, for example, when you
use sudo, or "sudo bash".  However, if you do "sudo su -", you will not
be able to run any application that requires the X Window System to run:

mbt at sage:~$ sudo bash -l
root at sage:~# xeyes
<it worked>

root at sage:~# exit
logout
mbt at sage:~$ sudo su -
root at sage:~# xeyes
Error: Can't open display:
root at sage:~#

Even if I add the DISPLAY variable to the system:

root at sage:~# DISPLAY=:0.0 xeyes
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0
root at sage:~#

So, if you want to run X apps as root, and you want a clean root
environment (like sudo su -), then maybe what you want to do is to put
together something that will run an X session for root within a window
on your desktop.  Or just run an X session as root.  But I don't
recommend that.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us