[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:13:48 EDT 2007

I had no issues installing Feisty, and I've done it on x86-64, x86, and
dual-core machines.

WMM

On 10/5/07, Bj?rn Gustafsson <bg-ale at bjorng.net> wrote:

> I had the same sort of bad out-of-box experience with 7.04, which was
> disappointing when the last two Ubuntu versions I used (5.10, 6.06)
> were painless and really flawless to install.  Especially that
> focus-click problem, that will no doubt put off many potential users.
> However once I got past the annoying installation problems 7.04 was
> really great as an end-user system.  Plus it's easy to find software
> you want in its various repos.
>
> My suggestions for alternate distros would be debian or slackware.  I
> don't know if either of those give good OOBE, but they're good solid
> distros.  You might also want to look at dreamlinux, depending on
> where your sweet spot is with respect to convenience versus
> configurability.
>
> On 10/4/07, Alexander Barton <abarton at mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > About every three years I replace my home desktop with the latest and
> > greatest.  I've heard wonderful tings about Ubuntu.  This time around I
> > though I'd give it a try.  So I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop.  But...
> >
> > This has got to be alpha software.  I managed to crash the installer a
> > handful of times just partitioning the drives with the expert mode
> > partitioner.  Hint: don't set a partition type to "dont_use". The
> > drop-down box for mount points was empty half the time.  Even the dialog
> > buttons were flaky -- they ignored clicks unless one first moused out
> > of, then back into the button.  I could go on and on.
> >
> > Surely I must have downloaded the beta version or something like that.
> > Perhaps this is a Microsoft dirty trick?
> >
> > So, can anyone recommend another distribution?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alexander
>
> --
> Bj?rn Gustafsson

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2