[ale] How do you store your passwords?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Nov 12 14:42:16 EST 2007

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Aiui, openid is exclusively for authorizing web-based apps.
>
> Is there an effort to integrate it into ssh, sftp, local login, etc.?

The closest I've seen is using it with RADIUS. Here's an example of
using it for authentication to wifi hotspots.

http://coova.org/wordpress/index.php/2007/06/08/openid-wifi/

"Above is the OpenID login form in CoovaAP?s embedded captive portal.
Instead of a traditional username and password, the user?s OpenID URL is
entered. When the form is submitted, the OpenID is sent to the RADIUS
server (as a username). The RADIUS server, knowing that OpenID was
turned on in access point (see below), will discover the OpenID
authentication server for this URL and update the user?s (session
specific) walled garden before redirecting the user to their OpenID
server to log in and grant permission (trust) to Coova.org."

Google turns up one pam-openid client,
http://code.google.com/p/pam-openid/, but I can't find any code. There
is a project that does the reverse (lets you use local system accounts
as openids) at http://trac.whitetree.org/gracie/.

-Brian