[ale] Latency on my DSL line

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Nov 7 20:24:31 EST 2007

Lately I've been seeing slowness at night on my DSL line (SpeedFactory).
I assume that for normal people that use the web 99% of the time this
would not bee seen.  I use SSH most of the time.  Around 7pm typing on
remote systems becomes a pain due to latency.  My wife has complained
that the ABC and Disney sites that play videos are choppy.
dslspeedtest.com does not show good things either at night.  BellSouth
has done some testing and see no packet loss.  I'm not sure how they are
doing that.

My idea is to run a program in linux and in linux at our data center to
do a test between the two machines.  I will take that output and place
it in a rrd file and I can graph what is going on.  Any ideas on what
program to use?  I need text output so I can parse the values via perl.

Chris