[ale] Quoting bizarre oracle names

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:52:21 EDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007 4:52 PM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

> We have a directory with Oracle Trace files in it such as the following:
>

> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  777 Oct 24 13:24 +asm1_ora_6948.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  670 Oct 25 13:44 +asm1_ora_699.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  761 Oct 27 11:14 +asm1_ora_7420.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  761 Oct 30 14:33 +asm1_ora_8052.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  907 Oct 30 14:33 +asm1_ora_8379.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  761 Nov  2 10:19 +asm1_ora_8461.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall 1112 Nov  2 10:19 +asm1_ora_8686.trc
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mrdpora oinstall  761 Oct 25 15:07 +asm1_ora_9435.trc
>

> The file names start with a plus sign for reasons only Oracle knows.   When
> using tools like "more" or "vim" to access the files they complain because
> they interpret the plus sign.   Is there any way I can quote or escape this
> so that these tools will work?   No combination I've tried works.
>
> By the way I did find a work around for "more" at least which was to "cat"
> the file and pipe it to "more" since "cat" doesn't seem to mind the plus
> sign.  It just seems I should be able to quote or escape some way.   Also ls
> has no problem with the plus sign.
>
> Please don't suggest something unless you know it works because you've
> tested it on your machine.  I've already tried enough combinations to know
> that guessing is something that would take a while.

On my Suse box, more appears to be really bad/dumb. But these worked:

less -- +asm1_ora_8461.trc
vim -- +asm1_ora_8461.trc

The double dash is standard to signal "end of options".

Note that the more manpage even calls more "primitive" and recommends
using less for more emulation:

less -m -- +asm1_ora_8461.trc

-Alex