[ale] Beryl?

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed May 23 14:40:00 EDT 2007

Brian Pitts wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:21 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
>> I've got a fresh install of FC6 and have just loaded the NVidia driver.
>> I want to try the Beryl or XGL?
>
> Beryl and Compiz are merging, so in the long run it won't matter which
> you try. Compiz is alreday included in FC6 w/ GNOME; turn it on using
> the "Desktop Effects" preferences menu item.
>
> XGL and AIGLX are different "rendering backends" for the xserver. You
> want to use neither; the proprietary Nvidia drivers support the
> necessary operations directly.

	I don't know much about the state of the merg of Beryl and Compiz but
I'd switched to Beryl because the features were much better than Compiz
which I found severely lacking.

	The other issue I ran into with either one was with remote desktop
viewing using VNC as well as some Java GUI applications. In both cases
there were issues with displaying properly or sometimes at all.