[ale] Fwd: [K12OSN] NECC 2007 Open Source Pavilion - Looking for Volunteers!

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon May 21 12:13:03 EDT 2007

This is a pretty big deal that is happening in Atlanta this June. If
anyone can lend a hand, please email Steve. If you'd like to see more
Linux in GA schools, that is ;-).

regards,
William

From: "Steve Hargadon" <steve.hargadon at gmail.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [K12OSN] NECC 2007 Open Source Pavilion - Looking for
        Volunteers!
To: schoolforge-discuss at schoolforge.net,        "Support list for open
source
        software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>

OK, NECC is coming up (June 25 - 27 in Atlanta), and this is a
combination of a status report and a call for volunteers.

Please forward this email to your Free and Open Source Software friends!

NECC is the National Educational Computing Conference
(center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2007), and it attracts over 15,000
educators each year.  It's arguable one of the largest (if not the
largest) educational technology shows in the world.  For the last
several years NECC has supported an "Open Source Pavilion" (apologies
to Richard Stallman) with an Linux thin-client lab for demonstration
purposes.  Last year we added a speaker series, which is now a part of
their main program.  This year we are getting our own large room (!!)
and adjacent hallway space.  Hurrah!

This year's speakers can be seen at our organizing wiki:
http://necc2007.wikispaces.com/Speakers.  There will also be two
"Birds of a Feather" sessions on FLOSS:
http://necc2007.wikispaces.com/Birds+of+a+Feather.

OK.  Now, about getting help!

We could really use:

1.  Setup volunteers.  We'll set up the lab and computers late
Saturday afternoon / evening (June 23).  Maybe we'll get some pizzas and
make it
a party.

2.  Volunteer for "milling around" Monday through Wednesday (25th -
27th).
The Open Source Pavilion needs folks who'll just answer questions
(mostly really basic) about what FLOSS is.  Come for an hour, or come
for three days.

3.  "Playground booths," same three days.  These are 5 - 10 stations
where we'll be
demonstrating different FLOSS programs.  Previously we've showcased
OpenOffice, GIMP, Audacity, Linspire, SchoolTool, Edubuntu, Moodle,
Firefox, and Knoppix.  We're open to just about anything that you'd
like to demonstrate that will give our attendees some good hands-on,
one-on-one demonstrations.  If you can bring your own computer, that
helps, but if you can't just let us know.  We also welcome proposals
from commercial
vendors who will commit themselves to also supporting the FLOSS ideals
and helping out in general.

You can go to the wiki (http://necc2007.wikispaces.com) to sign up to
volunteer or send me and email letting me know what you can do.

Take care,

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon