[ale] remote access to Windows box

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Fri May 18 16:22:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 16:18 -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, if you setup port forwarding on their router, you can RDP to them
> > (rdesktop in linux, mstsc in windows) - the standard port is 3389.
> >
> > More info is available here:
> > http://ezinearticles.com/?Remote-Desktop-Protocol-(RDP)-Port-Forwarding&id=115181
> >

> I didn't see mention of security, either for access into the machine
> or the content.  I did find a mention elsewhere of running RDP over
> ssh via putty, but that's starting to get too complex for this use.

Install Cygwin on your parent's computer, add sshd to Cygwin so that you
can ssh into their box.  Then install vnc-server on their PC, set it up
to use localhost.  Then all you have to do is ssh from your remote
computer into their box, with port forwarding enable, and you can use
vncviewer on your computer to connect to their computer securely.

-Jim P.