[ale] Segue from MS threatening the community

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu May 17 09:12:55 EDT 2007

On 05/17/2007 08:51:31 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 13:28 -0400, Mike Harrison wrote:
>
> > But then, I believe (no factoids involved)
> > M$ has inherited far more from the *nix and FOSS
> > community than the other way around.
>

> There have been claims that they used the BSD sockets code
> for the basis
> of Winsock, but I don't know how substantiated those
> claims are.

IF I recall correctly, the copyright notice for that code
was part of Windows somewhere for years.

> As I understand it, though, Windows NT is based on ideas
> and concepts
> from a hybrid of VMS and DOS.  DOS was based on CP/M,
> which was (very,
> very loosely) based on Unix, or so I have heard.

History. As I recall, Windows NT was developed under the
leadership of a former DEC engineer who also developed VMS,
which in turn developed from (?) Digital's RSX11 system for
the PDP11. The system utilities of NT seem to be more from
the DOS/OS2 heritage, as well as the windowing interface.
This is probably a good thing, as the file utility in RSX
(the name escapes me at the moment) was a rich, powerful,
hideously arcane command line thing that I recall had a bad
temper.

DOS did start life as a CP/M type operating system, since
CP/M was slow getting into the 16 bit arena. CP/m was
strongly influenced by the DEC operating system RT-11, if I
remember correctly. The DOS filesystem became a cross
between Unix and RT-11 with ver 2.0, when the subdirectory
showed up, but Microsoft has never lost DEC's use of
logical devices as part of the filesystem (C: drive and so
forth.) Unfortunately, MS has never seen fit to enable the
only real nice part of DEC's logical device naming ability,
and stuck with the limited A:-Z: drive scheme,

Note that the above is from memory, and could use a serious
dose of literature references.