[ale] OT - bank fun

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon May 14 11:58:49 EDT 2007

Well as I said it happened in the 80s.   The bank involved of course
denied they did it and someone as poor as me wouldn't have had much luck
suing them - I'd probably still be in court today because that's what
big companies do.

My point was the law was changed much later (sometime between 86-90) to
expedite check processing.   They couldn't get away with it now because
there are time limits for everything.   The main reason for the time
limits were another abuse - your own bank telling you that you couldn't
have access to deposited funds until they were "collected" and then
making arbitrary rules about when it was considered "collected" which
often let them float money they'd gotten in wire transfer.   Don't
underestimate the value of interest on 3 days float of millions of
dollars.

Rather than depositing at another bank you do what I and my coworkers
did after the above incident.   We cashed the checks at the bank they
were drawn on - the bank has to cash it for you even if you're not their
customer.   Even if you had deposited the money in another account and
manually transferred it out you'd be liable for the returned check and
ALSO your own bank would charge YOU overdraft fees for paying out the
check you'd originally deposited.

All that leads to another rant - why the hell you have to sign up to
allow funds to be withdrawn when you allow for them to be deposited via
direct deposit.   There ought to be a law with time limits for that as
well.  I once saw a person complaining that the contract agency he'd
worked for suddenly withdrew all the money they'd paid him when he was
working for them after he no longer did.  They used the flimsy excuse
that he hadn't submitted the proper time sheets but couldn't explain why
they had paid him all along without those time sheets.   It is one thing
to have a company make a payroll mistake and be allowed to correct that
within a week but quite another to allow them unlimited access.   Also
those agreements don't "expire" so once you move on unless you change
your account your vulnerable to shenanigans.