[ale] Gnome Keyring changing to gnupg

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat May 5 21:49:12 EDT 2007

tom wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2007, Jim Moore wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the password for the default
>> keyring?  Just as I was being asked to set it up for  the first time
>> there was a big commotion around here and by the time I got back to it
>> some hour and a half later, what I had started to enter was stored.
>> Geriatric me I've not a clue as to what I had started to enter.
>> Have done a "locate"  and found many many files in /usr/share and a few
>> in /var.
>> I'm hoping that if I can find the file where it is stored I can either
>> view what was entered or enter a new password.
>
> Wish I didn't know the feeling quite so well myself. What I did when I
> /lost/forgot/never conciously set/ the Gnome Keyring password was to
> simply delete the keyring subdirectory under the .gnome2 subdirectory. Not
> exactly elegant, I know, but I was able to get where I was going at least.
> Since you apparently were just setting things up for the first time, I
> guess you wouldn't lose too much just going back and starting over.
>
> Hope this helps. Wish I knew of a more elegant approach for the situation.

I ran gpg --gen-key created my keys etc, etc. I went to digitally sign a
file and when I entered my passphrase I got back Pass phrase check
failed. I know I entered in the correct password as I had written it
down. I tried several variations of the password, then I tried just
deleting everything in .gnupg and reran gpg. Got the same results. Then
just for the hell of it I deleted .gnupg subdir again and then and then
did an rpm --eval "%_gpg_name" and I got back the info I had originally
entered when I created the key. What else do I need to do to remove
myself so that I can start from scratch again? I think I had a brainfart
when I did it the first time. I have never before forgotten a password,
until now, or did I?