[ale] SUSE software update not working

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:01:09 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> I have an SUSE 10.2 installation. I use smart package manager for most of my
> updates. RIght now I have the orange ball in the tray with the exclamation
> mark. putting the mouse over it shows 1 software update. When I CLICK on it,
> it brings up the "Software Updater" window, that says "getting update
> list..."  and stalls there.
> smart update works, as does smart upgrade. I'm not sure what is wrong or what
> to look for..
> in YaST installation sources I have:
> ftp.ale.org /pub/suse/update/10.2
> download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/non-oss/
> download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/
>
> all on/on for refresh and active.

Paul,

I'm running 10.2 also and I get the same scenario from time to time.

I've found that if I run YOU (Yast Online Update) when it happens I
can pull down the updates and it somehow re-syncs the orange ball
thing.

To run you, I typically just start a terminal window, su to root, and
type "you" (lowercase).

I just ran YOU and it found a few updates.  A couple delta.rpm files
had a download problem and I had to click skip, but after that the
rest came in fine.

FYI: I do not use smart at all, so I don't know how that figures in.

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer