[ale] RedHat chkconfig & init scripts

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Mar 29 15:21:49 EDT 2007

Recently I wrote a start/stop init script for some RHEL AS 3 boxes
(modeled on an existing one).   I used chkconfig to turn it ON in my
multiuser run levels.   It worked like a charm on startup to start the
application (Oracle Middle Tier).   It also worked fine from command
line to stop the application.

However on shutdown (shutdown -r 0) it did not even attempt to run the
script.   That is to say it didn't get an error running it - it simply
ignored the fact it was there.   After looking at it further I decided
it was because it wasn't in run level 0 as a kill script so I ran
chkconfig -level 0 pc1_mid_tier off and it created the kill script link
there.   This didn't do it.   So I decided it wanted it in run level 6
(reboot) so did same for that level and again it successfully created
the kill script link there.   No go.

Is there something else I have to do to make it actually TRY to execute
the script at shutdown.   It's not critical since it isn't a DB so will
die anyway and the start is the important thing.   I'm just curious as
to what it is I'm missing.   I was going to do some research but figured
I'd ask since everyone is talking about run level stuff anyway.