[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 18:51:21 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 22:34 +0000, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> <flame suit on> RedHat and derivatives figured out a long time ago all
> they have to do is set the default runlevel to 3 for server and use 5
> for desktops. Then they don't have to hack the entire inittab file
> </flame suit on>
>
> :)

When was the last time you ran into someone who continuously used a dual
system as both desktop/workstation (with X) and server/device (without
X).  In my mind a box fits in one realm or the other, never both. ;-)

This thread started because someone couldn't shut down X, something that
can be done any number of ways from booting into single user mode,
stopping (k|g|x)dm or using init 1.  Runlevels, from RedHat or
elsewhere, have confused people into thinking they can be used to
shutdown software on *NIX systems.

-Jim P.