[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Mar 28 17:37:20 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 03:13:23 pm Jerald Sheets wrote:
> I think that is a Linux definition.
>
> Other platforms use different runlevels in different ways.

back in *NIX days, we only had (up to) run level 3...
I think run level 2 was like single user, with everything mounted &
networking, and run level 1 was single user with no networking. I think there
was a run level S and s... one only had root mounted and one had all file
systems mounted....
and you are correct, a run level is what you make it, with the rc.X scripts..
/etc/init.d/rc5.d/xdm has my KDE window manager program in it(SUSE 10.2), but
I also  programs installing the newest INVIDIA drivers on my DELL desktop, it
gave me those same errors when I went to init 3... sounds like a BUG to me.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800