[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Mar 28 13:39:22 EDT 2007

In /etc/inittab you should have a line like:
id:2:initdefault:

The "2" is the run level there.  Presumably you have "3".   You can
change it to "2".

Where things start is determined by links to the scripts in /etc/init.d.
These links would be in /etc/rc?.d where the ? is the run level (e.g.
/etc/rc3.d for run level 3).

If you don't' want it to start at a given run level you'd remove the
S##script from the run level directory that is linked back to the
/etc/init.d.   I don't know off the top of my head what the X start up
script is.