[ale] Vista vs Linux

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Mar 27 15:16:42 EDT 2007

Step wrote:
> I guess interpretation of my statement depends on whether you consider
> many distros using the same kernel and/or similar packages to be "one
> OS".  Either way, were it based on free and open standards I find it
> hard to believe one OS could ever own 90% marketshare - that is really
> only possible in the computer world through unethical and proprietary
> means (ahem *microsoft*), since one size most definitely does NOT fit all.
>
> I won't argue the Microsoft / Apple / Sun points - I doubt this is even
> the correct place for that discussion.  :)  Plus I have very little
> relevant knowledge compared to most everyone on this list.  :D
>
> On 3/27/07, *James P. Kinney III* <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
> <mailto:jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 12:08 -0400, Step wrote:
>      > Windows apparently really dropped the ball with Vista.  Here's hoping
>      > that everyone and their mother takes this opportunity and runs
>     with it
>      > - there's no way one OS should have 90+% marketshare in today's
>      > world.
>     Unless it's based on free and open standards. That leaves out Microsoft
>     and Apple.
>
>     And Sun.
>     --
>     James P. Kinney III
>     CEO & Director of Engineering
>     Local Net Solutions,LLC
>     770-493-8244
>     http://www.localnetsolutions.com
>
>     GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S. Physics)
>     <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com <mailto:jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>>
>     Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D 0659 6190 ADC3 829C 6CA7

I thought I had seen somewhere that Vista was being pulled in Europe,
something about someone had reversed engineered it and found about 30%
of the source to have been pirated. The original comments were still in
the source. If true I find it befitting a software company getting
caught at exactly what it claims to be trying to prevent,,,,,,,,,,,,