[ale] ALE, "Overseas LUG of the month"

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Mar 26 21:21:29 EDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, BBBB wrote:

> Yes, this magazine is expensive.
> It amuses me that I balk at spending money on a copy of any vvindows os
> but spending wads of cash on Linux magazines doesn't seem to bother me.

It's always worth a few bucks for me to see what has made it through
such an entities 'that's kewl and useful' filter, as well as what people
are advertising. And supporting the 'cause. Paying for a niche magazine
is a multiple goal investment, and it makes great bathroom reading too!
(I rarely take a laptop to the restroom... ;)

I rarely play(ed) Quake, but on my shelf is a very nice metal box of
Quake III for Linux, rewarding the mall PC gaming store for carrying it,
and iD for releasing it that way. Over the years, I've paid for Redhat,
sent donations to programmers, EFF and various causes.. Even got some
kewl t-shirts for my efforts.

I bought a few CD's at a local musicians CD release party last weekend.
Paid 'em double for them. He looked at me like I was crazy as he handed me
the signed CD's (I gave some to friends), and asked: "Why?". The answer
is the same for the CD's. the music, FOSS Software.. and even
Linux-centric magazines:

  "Please make more of this kinda stuff".

If we don't support it, all of it.. It'll die.