[ale] Changing default font for lp command

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 23 13:01:07 EDT 2007

The documentation is a good thing.  Unfortunately it doesn't talk about
"fonts".

Some people mean "size" when they say "font" because they're trying to
fit more (or less) on a single page.

You can set the "size" of text by setting cpi (characters per inch =
horizontal) and lpi (lines per inch = vertical).

lp -o cpi=12 -o lpi=8 = Elite font 88 lines per standard letter size
page
lp -o cpi=10 -o lpi=6 = Pica font 66 lines per standard letter size page

Also if it's a size issue you may wish to use landscape rather than
portrait orientation:

lp -o landscape