[ale] Setting up Audit

Tim Meanor timothy at meanor.net
Thu Mar 22 19:38:28 EDT 2007

aucat and augrep are the commands you need to look at the audit logs.

A few other pointers regarding audit: Look at /etc/audit/filter.conf
and set up the syscalls that you are interested in logging.  Also, be
sure to look closely at /etc/audit/audit.conf.  By default, audit
keeps 4 20MB binary log files - bin.1, bin.2, bin.3, and bin.4.  (To
see which one is being used, ls -l /var/log/audit).  After a log
fills up, audit starts using the next one.  Once it gets to bin.4 and
fills that up, Be careful - over time, /var/log/audit.d fills up with
these 20 MB save.x files, eventually filling up /var.  With audit
turned on and /var at 100%, audit won't be able to write any more log
events, so anything that would cause a log event to be written will
hang!   You won't be able to ssh into the system, for example.  Not
fun.  Keep those save.x files under control, or edit /etc/audit/
audit.conf and configure it to put the log files on a different
filesystem, or something like that.

-Tim