[ale] Orinoco Gold Card doesn't happy beep with 2.6x kernel

Shorter Rankin os2guru at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 16:07:30 EDT 2007

Running Slackware 11.0 on a ThinkPad T30.
Added kernel 2.6.17.13 from Slackware /testing
as an option in lilo. When I boot the 2.4.33.3
default kernel my Lucent/Agreer/Orinoco Classic
16 bit 802.11b card is recognized and I can
connect at public wireless Internet cafes,
public library...

When I boot the 2.6.17.13 kernel I get a
light on the card, iwconfig shows the
essid of the cafe, but I get no happy
beeps... 'network is unreachable'.

lspci -vv shows the CardBus bridge
exactly like it does in the 2.4x kernel.
I have package pcmciautils installed
and I added the code to turn off
cardmanager when I boot the 2.6x
kernel... also pccardctrl ident
gives me the name of the card...

Anybody else have this problem?
Any idea for a solution? I've
asked at LinuxQuestions and have
Googled - so far no joy...

tia,
Shorter Rankin

Q: What is the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?
A: When Batman fought the Penguin he won.