[ale] printer question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun Mar 18 12:27:47 EDT 2007

I have an HP laser printer connected to the LAN.

My wife's Mac sees it just fine.  I didn't have to do anything
to the Mac; as soon as I plugged the printer into the network, the
her laptop recognized it and could print to it.

However, recently she needed to print out a 22-page Word file and,
to save time, she sent it to the HP.

BIG mistake.  Her laptop was sending the job to the printer at the
rate of about one page every 1-2 minutes. The printer has more than
150 mgb of memory and the file was about 200k.

To save time she sent me the file via email.  I had to kill the still
running print job on her laptop and on the printer, then open the file
in OO and send it to the printer, which immediately spewed out the pages.

Any ideas as what I can do to speed things up would be appreciated.

Sean