[ale] Network profiles - OT fairtax isn't

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 16 12:02:10 EDT 2007

Fairtax is just as confusing as the current system so wouldn't eliminate
the IRS IMO.  Especially I don't like the idea of "prebates" because it
just allows for gaming the system like current tax shelters do.

Why not a simple tax? Everyone pays 10-30% of income to the city/county.
The city/county remits to the state and the states remit to the feds.

You'd still need an IRS to insure "perks" were included as "income"
which of course they really are no matter what the guy riding on the
corporate jet tells you about his need to do that rather than be with
the cattle on commercial jets.  Not saying they aren't entitled just
that they shouldn't pretend it isn't "compensation".

The rich that liberals complain about would still be paying more than
the middle class - we'd just eliminate the tax tables that penalize
people by taking a bigger and bigger percentage as they rise.   I
recently got a raise and was distressed to see that only 50% of the
raise made it to my "take home" pay where I'd only been predicting 33%.

My favorite tax ever was the National Insurance Scheme in Grenada.
(Loved the word "scheme" in that tax.)   It was sort of like our Social
Security. The law was less than one page long and they only taxed you
over a certain income level and then you had a maximum of $50 Grenadian
limit per year.   In that law they exempted "international
organizations" without defining them as "NGOs" or not-for-profit meaning
since I worked for an international hotel company I could successfully
have claimed to be exempt.  :-)

P.S.  I'm not "rich" even by Democratic limits nor am I a Republican.