[ale] RHEL 5 is out

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:33:21 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:30 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:

> ever consider VM? VirtualBox just went GPL. I believe it'll work with
> an
> existing M$ parttiton so that all you have to do is install the VBox
> software . If not maybe someone else knows whether VMWare will work
> that
> way?

I was using QEMU and Win2k for a while, however, it just wasn't
practical and was quite limited.  I have both licenses for Win2k
(Retail) and WinXP (OEM).  The problem with WinXP is that Microsoft
refuses to permit the OEM version to be run in a VM, and it will disable
itself if it is used this way (more than three "substantial" hardware
changes will have occurred, requiring re-activation from Microsoft by
telephone, which is more often than not denied in OEM situations).

That having been said, if I had a retail version of Windows XP, using a
virtual machine would be no problem for me at all, other than the slight
impact in speed (even with the GPL'd KQEMU accelerator module, Windows
doesn't run at full speed because you can't use the "-kernel-kqemu"
option without causing crashes on the guest operating system.  The BSD
family also suffers from this problem under QEMU.).

It is just easier and less time consuming to use a floppy and reboot the
system, at least at this point in time and with my present situation.
After this and the next math class that I will be in, I shouldn't need
to worry about it anymore because I can just get away with using
graphics in the document to show the equations, and it won't really
matter to the instructor.  :-)

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!