[ale] ..... Performance with ATI board with Ubuntu

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Mar 6 14:26:17 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 13:47, Jeff Tillotson wrote:
> I made a commitment to myself last weekend to use only open source
> software at home.  So I handed off the iBook to the girlfriend and
> installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my IBM Thinkpad T42.  I have run various linux
> distributions on desktop and laptops before but I am very happy with
> Ubuntu. As much as I love it I think I can love it a little bit more if
> I could get beryl running.

Good choice on Open Source, laptop and distro, but as much as I love
Linux and OSS I would be hard pressed to give up a Mac OSeX machine;
THAT's true dedication!

> Does anyone know if the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 has performance
> issues?  I have the driver installed:
>
> jefft at ironman:~$ fglrxinfo
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9600 Generic
> OpenGL version string: 2.0.6011 (8.28.8)
>
> However, fgl_glxgears only shows around a 430 fps rate.  I was expecting
> to see a lot better rate than that.  So is there any known issues with
> the performance with this card under Ubuntu?  Has anyone had this
> problem before?

430 fps?? Unless this is a typo or you are being facetious I don't understand
your concern. Films are captured at 24fps.  Standard us video runs at 30 fps
(as 60 interlaced fields). A couple of the high-def pseudo standards actually
run at a true 60 fps. The normal human eye scans in a variable range of about
58-72 "frames" per second. Computer monitors rarely scan at anything over 100
fps.  So... at 430 fps, your video card would be producing several times more
pages of information than either your display or observation systems can
utilize.  What are your means of measurement and comparison here?

> Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased with how this system runs.

;-)
   Which explains the "_Lousy_ Performance" part of the original subject line
completely...
;-)

peace,
aaron