[ale] WAS-Re: Comcast problems?now DNS

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Mar 2 13:53:18 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 13:20 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> ie. The caching name server will first look in its own cache.  If not
> there it will ask one of the forwarders instead instead of going
> directly to the office source for that domain.  It is really easy to
> add forwarders with SUSE via yast.  I don't know about other distros.

With fedora the package is "caching-nameserver"

Install that and make sure that /etc/init.d/bind gets started at boot.

Now I've had a problem with the cache getting old over time.  It is rare
but does happen when the server is up for extended periods of time.  It
might be wise to empty the cache every few days.  You can do this with a
cron job and simply execute '/etc/init.d/bind restart'