[ale] Reply trimming (was Re: [OT] Weird Trick to make Debit Card Scan)

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Mar 1 17:50:11 EST 2007

Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Uhm, you really don't have to fuss at your bank to have your card
> replaced.  Just call the 800# on the back of the card and tell them you
> lost your card.
>
> If it's a Visa or Mastercard, you'll have a new credit card within a day
> or two.  You can then simply toss your existing card out.

Er... why not just tell them that your card's magstrip is
damaged?  That way they can send you a new one *without*
hot-carding the old one, so you can use the old until the
new arrives.

Also, as an aside:  I trimmed about 100 lines of quoted
cruft from this reply, half of which was boilerplate
ALE footers.  Not such a big deal, granted; but there've
been other recent instances where I had to scroll through
literally thousands of lines of quoted BS to get to a
two-line response. I'd never advocate top-posting... but
back in the Old Days, trimming quoted material down to the
part one's reply actually addressed was part of basic
netiquette.  Can we revive it, perhaps?

-- JK