[ale] Microsoft Windows ousted at California school district

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Mar 1 17:14:36 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:00 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Why do people look for the quick fix and not the long term solution?

Because we are human.  We have this attitude in our own personal lives
and we bring it into our professional lives.

For example.  Regular maintenance is really the cheaper solution to the
long term goal of having reliable and affordable transportation.  Well
instead of getting the oil changed at a decent interval we decide not
too.  We don't want to spend the money nor spend our Saturday waiting at
Kauffman.  In the long term it is best for the car and keeps it running.
Keeping the tires rotated and balanced makes them last longer.

Back to the point.  We do this all the time and we bring this idea into
the office.  We decide to cut corners and not spend the cash needed and
then we pay later.  It may be that we pay with our time.  It may be that
the equipment breaks earlier and we pay with our money.