[ale] OT Windows Requirements in Universities was VM? (addendum: without windows licenses?)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Mar 1 15:37:10 EST 2007

If the binary is statically linked *sometimes* it will run so long as
the underlying chipset is the same.  I used to run AT&T i386 UNIX
binaries on top of SCO UNIX without a lot of problem.

However despite "portability" some things aren't really.   Just moving
scripts caused me problems if I was doing something like say cutting the
characters from ls -l that gave file name - on one UNIX/Linux they might
start at position 55 and on another they might start at position 58.
(I know awk with $NF would get around this for files without space names
- just using it as an early example of a tiny difference that caused me
problems.)  These tiny differences can cause issues even for scripts so
you can imagine that binaries might have issues.

The fact that many (if not most) binaries now are dynamically linked
means you may not have the required libraries to run the binary on
another system even if it has the same chip set.