[ale] NSA & AT&T spying on U.S. citizens

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Fri Jun 29 20:03:29 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 19:29 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Jim,
>
> You ask what respected organizations have challenged NSA's illegal
> spying on U.S. citizens' phone records and AT&T illegally providing
> these to the NSA.
>
> Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is one of the principal organizations
> challenging the NSA and AT&T in Federal Court.  EFF is a well-respected
> organization that fights for the electronic rights of U.S. citizens.
> (The ACLU probably also is involved, though they rarely fight for the
> rights of ordinary citizens, IMHO.)

I remember when the EFF was fighting to allow un-restricted access to
pornography on the Internet.  Respected?  Who's circles?

I'm sure the EFF has done some good somewhere, heck even the KKK was
known for their religious leanings and work.  BUT, the point remains
that outside of a few fringe groups there is no LARGE concern with what
the NSA has been suggested to have done.  No non-self-serving and
respected legal entity has cared to look at this.  It's not even on CNN
any more unless CNN is just regurgitating someone else's second hand
theory on what they think the NSA might have done.  I have yet to hear
any facts that point to the NSA specifically breaking a law that they
weren't given orders to evade.  Murder is illegal,... opps not in war.
Same principal.

Best wishes,

-Jim P.