[ale] MBA schools

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Jun 27 09:36:35 EDT 2007

On the other hand I have found that the Veep he is talking about is
correct.   In my prior life I was an accountant and rose to the level of
Controller of a multi-million dollar business without having more than 2
years of college or an accounting degree.   In my current life I'm a
highly paid Systems Administrator despite having no technical degree and
am not in management only because I choose not to be so have passed on
requests to move up from employers.   If you show a willingness to take
on new tasks and learn new things companies often have a need for that
and you can leverage it the way you want.

On the flip side I would say that if you were getting the MBA as plus
for your resume then the school's perceived standing in the world (i.e.
have potential employers/bosses ever heard of it?) does matter.   During
the tech bust back in 2001 I was out of work for 5 months after leaving
a job and I often felt that occurred because there were a plethora of
unemployed tech workers in the market.   Employers likely did what I did
once as a manager when faced with dozens of applicants for a job - they
started picking who to interview based on specific factors on the
resume.

e.g.  First get rid of everyone who doesn't have experience in the job
(the number one factor in most job searches), still too many resumes -
get rid of everyone that doesn't have a 4 year degree - still too many
get rid of everyone that doesn't have a degree from a school you've
heard of, still too many get rid of the ones that don't have MBAs etc...

Even though you want to run your own business (good luck) it is a fact
that most new businesses fail within the first 3 years so your MBA may
be something you need to fall back on if you reentered the job market
later.   At that point the name/reputation of the school might make a
difference especially if the failure occurred more due to the economic
climate than due to any mismanagement on your part.

P.S.  Do MBAs teach Accounting 101?  I wouldn't have thought so - you
might want to look at some undergrad accounting/economics/management
classes before starting the MBA even if you've already got a 4 year
degree.