[ale] Update BellSouth/ATT, Ubuntu, & Girlfriend

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jun 25 18:27:37 EDT 2007

I'm pleased as punch to report success in my efforts. All things appear to
now happily work together, and much of the headache belongs to funble
fingered me and not the incumbent phone company, although they get a bit
of it.

Turns out there were two separate problems, the problem I caused covering
up the ability to figure out the lost of dsl signal from the phone co. And
I didn't mention something that I should have, which would have clued
others in to my ignorance. PEBCAK or whatever it is.

The computer in question had been running Fedora Core 5, quite happily
since it wasn't connected to anything. As everyone is aware, except me,
Fedora starts the UID sequence at 500 for normal users, while Ubuntu
startx the UID sequence at 1000 for normal users. Since I was hoping to
not have to recover from the backup cds for her user directory, and I
habitually put /home on its own partition, I didn't format the /home
partition when installing Ubuntu. The process of creating the first user
picked up the old directory tree, but didn't update the UID values for all
of the files. Hence, when attempting to log in as the only defined user
(Ubuntu doesn't use root), you get permission violations on a number of
files and can not log in to fix things. My bad, and it took a reinstall
and an hour of gnashing of teeth and pulling hair this afternoon to figure
that bit of stupid out. A nice recursive invocation of chown as root fixed
things quite nicely, _ONCE_ I tumbled to the error of my ways.

The dsl link decided to be nice and rock steady this afternoon while I
worked on the other situation, so the connectivity problem I thought I had
was actually a problem of not being able to hook up a decent trouble
shooting platform. Something about not changing horses in the middle of
the stream??

In any event, the notes from ALE helped immensely in guessing that there
were two separate problems and not two problems causing each other. My bad
that I didn't give quite enough of the right information to narrow the
problems down properly.

My thanks to the list, both for the bandwidth, the support, and the ideas.