[ale] BellSouth/ATT DSL

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:40:12 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 14:55 -0400, aaron wrote:

> Despite the repeated incompetent and innexcusable insistence of
> B$hATT that you must use Mafia$oft broken windows and intersnot
> exploiter to set up your DSL, everything they are saying is a totally
> fraudulent lie and you need nothing of the sort. All you need is the
> account ID and password.

It seems that IAPs say that Windows is "required" because they won't
support anything else.  Strangely, if I call up Comcast and tell them
that I have Ubuntu when they ask me what version of Windows I am running
they are very quick to blame my software (even if 40 minutes of pre-call
testing---or the cable modem itself---shows that the fault lies with
Comcast's network).  They've even blamed my Internet access woes on
Ubuntu when their network was in an utter state of outage, which is a
bit outrageous to me.

Of course, since Ubuntu validates as Genuine Windows, I suppose it isn't
technically lying to say that I am using Windows XP... in any event, if
I call them up and tell them that I am running Windows, they'll actually
talk to me.  Sometimes I get lucky and get someone who actually knows a
thing or two about computers and operating systems, and possibly even
networking, and I can tell them exactly what I have done, what hasn't
changed, and then have them do tests to try to figure things out.

Thankfully, I don't have trouble with my Comcast service often.
Unfortunately, when I do, my friend that works for Comcast is usually
off work and cannot be of assistance; hence my issues dealing with the
remainder of technical support.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!