[ale] BellSouth/ATT DSL

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at ike2.room17.com
Sun Jun 24 14:39:23 EDT 2007

My girlfriend decided that she wanted internet access at home,
and chose the $10/month dsl now offered from BellSouth/ATT. Of
course, I get to set it up, and of course I'm working on getting
things set up for Linux (Ubuntu specifically, as I think a
Fedora setup would be a little heavier maintenence and I'm
having challenges with F7 at the moment). BellSouth has provided
a lovely little Westell modem/router which I get setup with my
ancient laptop with Windows2000. Attempting to convert to her
machine seems associated with loss of the dsl link, but I'm not
ready to claim that strongly in public. My suspicion is that the
link loss is further up the chain, but again I cann't prove
that. I can find the modem/router with a web browser at
http://192.168.1.1:80, although I of course do not have a
password for the interface. The interface does show things setup
correctly tho. I have quickly searched the web for documentation
on the modem/router and come up quite dry. (I left my notes over
at her place, or I'd note the model number here - sorry, but my
bad)

I should note that my initial installation of Ubuntu7.04 has a
glitch in it also, further complicating things.

General questions: Does anybody here have experience with this
setup? Anybody have a possible lead to documentation for the
modem/router? (I really don't want to find somebody to reverse
engineer the setup code provided) Since I could probably use a
severe beating with a cluebat - any general (hopefully useful)
commentary.

I've got to take her out to dinner with her siblings shortly,
and won't be back until late, but any clues/ideas/leads would be
appreciate for tomorrow's effort.

Thanks in advance.