[ale] MBA schools

Philip James Smith philipsmith at alumni.albany.edu
Fri Jun 22 18:09:34 EDT 2007

Hi Guys:

There have been studies conducted by economists on this very issue. The
results from those studies show that long-term determinants of success
measured in $ terms depend on:

1. the field you choose, and
2. emotional maturity.

I.e., long-term success does not depend on the brand-name of the
diploma. If you look at the membership of the board of directors for
mostly all large "successful" firms, you'll find that not that many of
them went to an Ivy League School: those people (men and women) have
important real-life experiences and skills that get them there. In fact,
it is often the case that brand-name diplomas come with a quirky stigma:
people who start off life on 3rd base usually don't get off of 3rd base,
and the name of the game eventually changes on them. You've gotta have
it in your heart and head, not written on a piece of paper that you've
hung on the wall. Also, if you grew up in Clayton, GA and have cotton in
your mouth, you've got to think about whether you'd fit in with the
"royals" that are going to Yale... think of the chances of that!

However, those same studies show that the school you graduate from
influences the 1st few jobs you get... and not much more.

Many quite successful business people are graduates of Valdosta State.

Phil Smith
Duluth, GA