[ale] Vinyl to CD

Ned Williams nedj10 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:09:18 EDT 2007

If you have Hiss in a turntable then you need either a new turn table, a new
pre-amp or a new amp...or new cables between all three, hiss usually comes
from tape, and if you have a low level line noise you might think is hiss,
it is most likley from some component, most likley your amp or pre-amp
having WAY to much gain on the input from a low level source.

If you are converting just make sure you have a NEW stylus on the turntable,
make sure its a balanced arm turn table....and from there you can get into
the audiosnob stuff, or go oldschool...

I have more than once seen the phase linear / Pioneer metal base stuff at
places like good will, as long as the cables and needle/stylus are new the
sound produced will be quite nice...easily superior to the garbage I saw at
HI FI buys last week that they were passing off as Turntables.

just 2 cents
Ned