[ale] OT: Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:04:25 EDT 2007

I think you're overlooking some things. Joe Blow is almost being
forced to buy a new television within the next year and a half.
Granted, those who get their television through a pay service really
don't _have_ to upgrade. But do you really think those who can afford
to pay for television won't want to upgrade? The disappearance of
analog television is going to do a lot, in my opinion, to usher in
high definition. Once people have their new television, a majority
capable of HD display, they will hunger for content. MPEG2 (720?480
NTSC) doesn't look too bad on a 32" LCD, but the same thing in 720p
(1280x720) looks a helluva lot better.

I agree that DVD is here to stay for sometime yet. Mostly because it
is much cheaper than the HD formats (I usually get my DVDs from the
$5.50 rack at Target). But I don't think it is going to hang around as
long as VHS. And if it does, it will probably because it is so easy to
produce (home videos, etc.).

As for porn driving the HD format decision. It doesn't look like that
is happening --
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070606-porn-2-0-is-stiff-competition-for-pro-pronographers.html
. Free downloads seem to be hurting the porn business. They're also
having trouble keeping the illusion up (really, no pun intended) --
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/business/media/22porn.html?ex=1327122000&en=ae526fc82277506a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
. Let's face it, the people in porn aren't always the best looking.
The imperfections get multiplied when viewed in HD.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59