[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near Atlanta?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sun Jun 17 21:42:54 EDT 2007

Brian Schenken wrote:
> Well we made it to Atlanta - what a beautiful place!
>
> Everything went as planned for the most part, the only major issues we
> had:
>
> In Arizona as we drove past a large and powerful dust devil, it
> suddenly changed course and I wound up plowing my Taurus (1990 family
> wagon - heavy, built like a tank) right through it.  It felt solid
> when I hit it, then jerked the car back and forth as I passed through.
>  My wife, who was following me, just clipped the edge of it with her
> tiny Spectra.  Good thing I had the lead!
>
> Next was our cat's attempt at suicide.  I was being a cheapskate and
> not running the A/C through Tennessee.  The heat didn't bother me
> much, but my furry friend considered it grounds for desertion.  (Did
> you know that cat's pant when they're hot enough?  It's a pitiful
> sight...)  I caught him by the tail just as he leaped out of the
> window.  (I don't recall how I perceived his movement nor how I
> managed to snatch him through the passenger window behind me whilst
> driving...)  Once I turned the A/C on he sat in front of it and slept
> the rest of the way.
>
> We've spent Friday and the weekend house hunting.  We found one in
> Lawrencville that we really like, any thoughts on that area?  The
> house we are looking at is near a middle school that is rated 9/10 by
> greatschools.net.  It looks great to outsiders like us...

I live just NW of downtown Lawrenceville, near the hospital (Gwinnett
Medical Center). I'm on the northside of 316. As far as restuarants go
we have a few non chain. One in particular is Fini's if you like Italian
, and lots of it, than you have to check this place out. My wife and I
went there for lunch after they had just opened and like fools we
ordered just a cup of soup before the meal thinking it would be a small
portion. Wrong! They bought out what most places call large bowls. We
both said at the sametime to the waitress, that she made a mistake, that
we had ordered cups not bowls. She told us that no these are cups and
the bowl was really a bucket. The rest of the meal was the same. Lots of
doggie bags, and I'm told that the dinner portions are also
proportionally larger. But like Danny we have our share of the franchise
chains. Also we have a few good Japanese places if you like Sushi.