[ale] LPI Level 1 and level 2 training/certification in Atlanta

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 14 09:27:40 EDT 2007

I _think_ the New Horizons group near Northlake mall does training for
LPI but I'm not positive. Check the lpi.org site.

I can't iterate enough that for groups converting (like APS) sending
their existing windows techs through some sort of training is
essential.

I also want to point out that the most important aspect (that almost no
converting group does) is to do the following: Each tech that is
expected to learn the new system must use the new system on a daily
basis for their general job functions (immersion is the ONLY way to
grasp the concepts of a new thinking process and this is much like
learning a new language) AND at least one of the managers must also have
a system on their desktop (supported by the new techs) that runs the new
stuff. If management doesn't know about the new system at least from the
viewpoint of a user, they will be forever making support decisions in a
vacuum. A vmware-player version is adequate for the manager but not for
the techs in training.

Note: It is MUCH easier to make a new Linux tech than to convert an old
Windows tech.

Note 2: Since APS is using K12LTSP which is a variant of RedHat, they
should look at the RHCT training. LPI is a very solid process that is
geared for broad Linux support across multiple major distribution
styles.