[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek movingto/near Atlanta?

lee hartley leeslist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:41:10 EDT 2007

Hello...

I am the wife of the ALE member and I saw this post and wanted to give
my 2 cents. Hope it's okay.  Saying "I live in Atlanta" can mean very
little.  Atlanta is all about urban sprawl.  It is slowly engulfing
Georgia.  Therefore, I find the name itself to be a bit of misnomer.

We have lived all over Atlanta north, way north and in the city.  As
far as the northern suburbs go, I have found Roswell to be the most
progressive.  The school system is great, there are lots of parks and
nature preserve there as well as a bit of history and older homes are
still preserved.  The area called Crabapple is quaint and downtown
Roswell has small shops and eateries/coffee shops, parks and it's all
walkable.  It is also a short drive from the Alpharetta FRYS (my hubby
also is a fan!).

There is no FRYS in the city, but we found it to be more progressive
and closer to more cultural events and more walkable if that's what
you like.  We were in Decatur, which can also be a bit of a misnomer.
The area around Agnes Scott College and  the downtown square is worth
checking out.  The Winona Park school district is very good and it's a
very quaint area.  It is a very crappy commute though!  BTW, there's
an IKEA nearby--this may be more enticing to your wife :)!

Also, if you're thinking of Duluth, the Suwanee area is nice.

As far as traffic is concerned, my husband was commuting 30 miles from
in the city to Alpharetta for 2 years.  It took him, at off peak
times, from an hour to 2 hours.  The traffic sucks!  Whatever you do,
avoid 285, for your commuting route.  We decided to move near the job
and he biked to work etc...  It was huge as far as quality of life was
concerned..he got back 4 hours a day.   Also, with rising gas prices
and insurance rates, we saved a decent chunk every month.

Good luck with your move!  We are no longer living in Atlanta or we'd
be happy to show you around!

All the best,
Meg