[ale] ext3 formatted USB disks

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 00:27:12 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 11:55 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I'm in the process of upgrading the hdd in my laptop so I bought
> one of those 2.5" enclosures at Frys.  I partition the drive as linux
> and formatted as ext3.
>
> Normally when I plug in a USB stick that is fat formatted it is
> mounted
> automatically in /media/usbdisk.  I have full rights to that fs.  When
> the Linux one is plugged in it is mounted as /dev/sda1 and I need to
> be
> root to write anything in there.  I guess that is being limited by the
> FS on the disk?
>
> /dev/sda1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>

> For a usb fat stick I normally see uid=500.

Depends, I think, on how the system manages to mount external drives.
All of my external drives are formatted either ext2 or ext3 (and the
portable hard drive that I carry has a 8 MB FAT partition with ext2ifs
on it for Windows), and they pop up just fine on my Ubuntu box.  Pretty
sure that is some sort of voodoo happening behind the scenes,
though.  :-P

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support Freedom of Speech---Do not use TypePad, Movable Type,
LiveJournal, Vox, or TypeKey.