[ale] Q; Problem in installing a kernel (Ubuntu)

Hxsrmeng hxsrmeng at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:00:44 EDT 2007

I am now installing a kernel.

I downloaded the source code from kernel.org and unzipped it to:
/home/linux/linux-2.6.22.1

I have initramfs-tools package installed.

I have already configured and built it with "make defconfig", and "make".

But when I try to install it with "make install" or "sudo make install",
I got the message:
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I didn't built any modules, so I don't think I need "make modules-install".

Do you know what's wrong with my operation? Thanks.