[ale] Linux, DVD, and AVI/MPG conversion

danverde danverde at comcast.net
Sat Jul 28 21:45:58 EDT 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 9:03:34 pm Bob Kruger wrote:
> All;
>
> I must admit that I am woefully ignorant of Linux and DVDs.
>
> I am looking for a program that will allow me to convert some avi and
> mpg files into a format that can be read on a stand alone DVD player
> like what you have connected to your television.
>
> Is there anything out there for Linux, or will I have to go the Windows
> <gulp> route?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> V/r
>
> Bob

Start here http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net.  It may take quite a while
transcode your video files to standard DVD format.

My other suggestion would be to buy a $35 dvd player that will play native
xvid/divx, mpg, etc... video files.  Then you can just burn your movies to a
regular data dvd and play them in the native format (provided it is supported
by the dvd).  I have several DVD player that I use for this.  Before you buy
one you can check out if the models support your video format first here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
I have saved tons of time just playing in native format instead of converting
to DVD format.

Dan