[ale] My how things have changed...

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 21:13:19 EDT 2007

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14002

Neat article taking a look back at the first Linux release. I remember the
days when you could email Linus himself and ask a stupid question, and you
were almost guaranteed a response within 8 hours or so. Patrick Volkerding
of Slackware fame still fields support questions, but he's a dying breed. I
can't imagine how Linus manages his email.

If you want a serious example about how far things have come, go download
Slackware 4 and set it up on an old box. Although it is a relatively modern
distribution, the contrast between it and a new distribution is staggering.
I have an old laptop that, until very recently was still running the
original Slackware 7 installation set up on it the night it was released. I
fired it up the other day (first time in several years) to look for a file I
needed and felt like I had stepped into a time warp.
--
Jonathan