[ale] ntp for debian workstation

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 17 14:18:12 EDT 2007

From: "Jim Popovitch" <yahoo at jimpop.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:26 PM
>> I've configured my dhcp server to tell clients the IP address of my ntp
>> servers.  So I think all I've got to do on each workstation I set up is
>> 'apt-get install ntp-simple'.
>
> Yep, although that will also pull down ntp.   Have you looked into
> ntpdate as an alternative?

Well, no I hadn't considered ntpdate but that may be due to ignorance rather
than a choice. I thought ntpdate is a runs-once program to set the date. My
understanding is that if the workstation is going to be on for a long time,
the clock can drift. The ntp daemon takes care of that. Since the
workstations I am working on will stay up for weeks/months (I hope), ntpdate
would not work.  Am I wrong?