[ale] apache2 Proxypass

Jay Loden ale at jayloden.com
Tue Jul 17 12:54:32 EDT 2007

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hi all...pardon my lack of apache-fu...
>
> I've set up some ProxyPass directives on my apache2 server to
> redirect a URL on my public webserver to the (hacked) web interface
> on my tivo box behind it on the NAT network. So far everything seems
> to work, almost...
>
> The remaining niggling issue is that in order for the proxy
> passthrough to be successful, I have to remember the trailing slash
> on the URL. So far I haven't figured out how to get around that at
> all, either. When I enter "http://www.semihuman.com/tivo/" into the
> URL from the outside, I get the tivo web interface. When I enter
> "http://www.semihuman.com/tivo", I get a 404.
>
> Below is the content of the directives (which sits in a site file
> under /etc/apache2/sites-available):
>
> <Proxy *>
> Order deny,allow
> Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> ProxyRequests           Off
> ProxyPass               /tivo/  http://tivo1.semihuman.com/
> ProxyHTMLURLMap         http://tivo1.semihuman.com      /tivo
>
> <Location /tivo/>
>          ProxyPassReverse        /
>          SetOutputFilter         proxy-html
>          ProxyHTMLURLMap         /       /tivo/
>          ProxyHTMLURLMap         /tivo   /tivo
>          RequestHeader           unset   Accept-Encoding
> </Location>
>
> Now, I've tried changing the ProxyPass line from /tivo/ to /tivo, but
> when I do that the URL without the slash comes up but none of the
> links work (they map to http://www.semihuman.com/<file>, not http://
> www.semihuman.com/tivo/<file>) Everything still works properly when I
> add the slash to the URL.
>
> Any ideas of how to make this work?

Have you tried setting a redirect for /tivo to /tivo/ with the .htaccess in the document root?
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/howto.html
You could just redirect /tivo to /tivo/ using the .htaccess I'd think.

Interestingly, my Apache server(s) redirect from /dirname to /dirname/ anyway, but that might only work if the dirname is an existing directory on disk, not sure. I'm not familiar with the mod_proxy_html syntax, but this seems odd to me:

>          ProxyHTMLURLMap         /       /tivo/
>          ProxyHTMLURLMap         /tivo   /tivo

Might that work if you just changed that second line to read

          ProxyHTMLURLMap         /tivo   /tivo/

-Jay