[ale] Notebook Recommendations?

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:42:25 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 09:31 -0500, Preston Boyington wrote:

> The only things that don't work 100% are the DVD media buttons on the
> left side of the keyboard and the built-in modem.  Mainly because I
> have
> devoted zero time to making these work and haven't needed them.
> Everything else worked (virtually) "out of the box".

Don't have media buttons on my model, though I do know that there is
software for getting those things working on most any keyboard that has
them.  What that software is, though, is a mystery to me.  I remember
seeing it like once... and it wasn't that important to me to make those
keys work when I had a keyboard that had them.

The modem should be supported by the sl-modem software.  It does seem
that lately, the sl-modem-drivers have fallen out of maintainership, but
someone will come around to maintain them again, I am sure.  At least on
my machine, I don't have to build the drivers; they are already in the
kernel.  I still hate WinModems, though.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!