[ale] OT: maybe, it is for Linux use

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Thu Jul 12 21:20:53 EDT 2007

I'm looking for a new hdd and am torn between 2 500GB SATA 300s
I have seen both at Newegg.com

1. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM for $109.99

2.  Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS
500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $119.99

I've noticed that Seagate shows a couple of their specs (Access Time and
Latency Time) but I can't seem to find these for WD, at least I haven't
seen them on the WD site. Anyone have any info that they could share, or
preferences. I've generally been a WD loyalist, but I have had a couple
die prematurely for me recently. I've been leery of Seagate from the
late 80's when I worked for them, and got to see some of the cr_p that
went on at that time. But I am open to suggestion except for Maxtor. (I
know, now Seagate). I might even consider other brands if one is
persuasive enough.

TIA