[ale] PXE Boot from CD?

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Wed Jul 11 15:16:49 EDT 2007

Brian Pitts wrote:
> David Tomaschik wrote:
>
>> I have an old (P2, IIRC) notebook computer with a dud hard drive that's
>> just been sitting around.  While it's not that critical, I thought it
>> would be fun to get it working (at least somewhat).  My thoughts were to
>> get it to PXE boot with NFS root off my home lan server (which has
>> plenty of disk space).  Unfortunately, it has no integrated network,
>> only a PCMCIA network card (obviously not directly bootable).  So I
>> thought there might be a LiveCD of some sort available to allow PXE
>> booting.  It seems fairly simple, but googling has found lots of people
>> asking about it, but little in the way of direct answers.
>>

> Try generating an iso from http://rom-o-matic.net/5.4.3/ if you know
> your NIC type.
>
> -Brian

Unfortunately, Etherboot does not support PCMCIA NICs, so that isn't an
option.  I've looked at PXELINUX, but the more I think about it, if I'm
going to boot from a CD, I should be able to slap a kernel and isolinux
on there, boot from that kernel and initrd, and pivot_root to an NFS
root.  I'm probably missing something here, but it seems like that would
work.  Either that or go the CF-44 pin IDE route.

David